government

Government to reconsider wage cut for striking engineers (PM)

June 23, 2021

(TAP) - Prime Minister Hichem Mechichi, on Tuesday, said the government will reconsider the wage cut method for striking engineers (from April 5, 2021 to June 17, 2021), while respecting the principle of work done.

This decision was taken in respect of their social and living conditions, he added as he met Tuesday in Kasbah with President of the Order of Tunisian Engineers (French: OIT) Kamel Sahnoun.

Mechichi commended the engineers for upholding national interest and ending their strike.

He assured that «the government is attentive to the concerns of professionals in the sector, to meet the demands of engineers, in accordance with the requirements of the current phase.»

The PM emphasised the vital role played by engineers in building the national economy and their contribution to economic and social development.

Engineers in state enteprises staged an open strike since April 5, 2021, claiming their right to benefit from a specific bonus granted to engineers in the civil service.

The OIT, on June 17, announced at a press conference the suspension of the strike and its intention to sue the Tunisian government for «failing to honour the February 16, 2021 agreement and for unequal and unfair treatment of citizens.»

Kamal Sahnoun said the order decided to suspend its open strike, which had been going on for three months, adding this suspension was not a defeat for the engineers, but was dictated by national duty.

The engineers resumed their work on Monday June 21.

tap.info.

government

Pollution: Tinja commits to combat plast...
August 4, 2021
Kais Saied dismisses Ali Kooli and Moham...
August 3, 2021
Egypt, Algeria Agree on Full Support for...
August 2, 2021